Friday, November 28, 2008

Good Mom???

We went to Archer's school festival in early October. We came home with two lovely goldfish. One was a fabulous orange and the other was white with an orange spot. Just the cutest couple. We headed off to Wal-Mart (this should be the first clue that this story doesn't have a happy ending). We bought some pretty rocks and some flakes. Everything was going swimmingly.

Archer was a religious feeder/bowl cleaner. Our fish were happy. Archer did such a great job cleaning the fish bowl but, it was clouding up sooner and sooner. I was sure that the rocks needed a better rinsing. So, Thanksgiving night (almost 2 months into our fish ownership) I helped Archer clean the rocks. The water was warm but not hot. I had rinsed the rocks and filled the bowl with warm water. By the time I thought to cool the water, I had already put the fish in the bowl. Archer said, "Mom, this fish is acting weird."


That quick, I cooked two fish. I really was just trying to keep the water cleaner longer and instead, I killed two fish. Their little fish blood is on my hands and I am sorry. The sad part is, we never named these little guys because we didn't think we would have them a week, let alone almost two months!