Thursday, April 29, 2010

Do your duty with a heart full of song.

I have always considered myself a patriotic person.  I am so proud to see Archer in his scout shirt, I cry when I hear the National Anthem, and I LOVE America and being American.  As an American, we have the duty to serve as jurors periodically.  I received my first jury summons when I was away at college and therefore, excused from duty.  My second summons came when I was a new momma and was excused from duty as I was the sole care provider for my child--my husband worked, I was not alone.  I was required to report for duty this past Monday and did not cheerfully anticipate the day.  I did not dread the day in fact when I told people I had jury duty, many condolances were shared and looks of pity were sent in my direction.  I was excited to go to the new courthouse, to have a newfound purpose to my day, one that did not include diapers or carpools!  I think I also thought in the back of my head that nobody wants a Deputy District Attorney's wife on their jury.

Eight in the morning our badges were issued and the wait began.  We were entertained with a short video on what our day would be like.  I LOVED IT!  I couldn't wait for my turn, I wanted to serve.  Ten thirty-ish and we were called to the courtroom of Judge Douglas Smith.  The jury box was filled and the questions began.  We quickly learned that a convicted felon was suing a woman who cut him off in traffic.  Many questions were asked some different some always the same.  Very few people were dismissed.  We had lunch, still no jury fully selected.  After lunch, potential jurors were dismissed and I was getting closer to the hotseat.  Would I actually get to serve?  I hope so, I hope I haven't spent all day here and then get sent home. 

I was called up to answer some questions, I don't recall the last time I felt so nervous.  I don't know if I was that nervous the last time I spoke in church!  It was a few questions and I knew the answers!  I had to disclose that Rob is a DA and my father-in-law is a PD and that my brother is an ER doctor--these were all relevant to the case so you would think, "so long, sista!" but they kept me.

We picked two more jurors and jumped right into opening arguments and shortly after started with witnesses.  We listened to almost two days worth of testimony and on Wednesday were sent to deliberate.  We started our deliberations at 1:00, over lunch, continued to knock out the details and were back in court with our verdict by 3:00.  At which time I felt the same nerves and flutters as during selections.  Weird.

I have to say that we didn't give anybody "the chair" (you can't in a civil case) but we surely weren't awarding the suggested amount to a man that had no lasting issues from the incident.

I have been reflecting on my actions, comments, and deliberations and have looked to Rob as a barometer for my decision.  I do feel that my decision was correct.  I do feel that the points that I argued for were reasonable and appropriate.  I thank God that I did not have to participate on a case that involved some terrible offense.  I don't think that my mental state could withstand such an experience.  I can't listen to the news without suspecting there is an abuser waiting around the corner.  I also thank God for this country and for the chance that I had to participate in our third branch of government,
I AM PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN

2 comments:

Kim Bellows said...

Jeff is being called for the jury duty process this week also. He is very excited to have the opportunity.

Pat said...

It must be jury duty for the Gardner clan this month. I was called for this past week, but have not had to go in yet, and Lindsey has been called for 3 weeks for the month of May. How crazy is that!