Monday, November 22, 2010

Sunday

Sometimes Sundays are chaotic.  Sometimes getting everybody dressed and ready for 9am church is difficult.  Sometimes getting everybody dressed and ready and on time and happy is an absolute miracle.  Let me tell you of a Sunday miracle that I just realized.

Early Sunday morning I told Rob that we needed to make sure the children looked especially put together since this was the Sunday that the children would be on the stand singing for the entire ward to see.  No problem, clothes were ironed, and baths were prepared, and then....  A bit of trouble.  Ridge would not wake up.  Teenage-style, not gonna do it.  Rob persisted and struggled through bathing the Stubborn One.  Generally, after being dried off and groomed, Ridge dresses himself.  Sundays are usually a little more structured as to what he can choose to wear.  This Sunday, it was his way or the highway.  Here was what Ridge chose to wear.

Complete ensemble includes: stained slub shirt (it was collared though), one dog tag necklace, one Paul Frank monkey jacket, one very wrinkles pair of khakis, one pair of flip flops that allow his heels to hang off just every so complimentary, and one monkey/dog animal dressed for Christmas.  (we do not allow toys at church--he was going all out in his rebellion!)

I suppose there are much worse things he could have and probably will chose to wear but when you have a vision of a crisp white shirt, tie, pants, and clean church shoes, this just doesn't cut it!  But here is the miracle.  I didn't care.  I wish it would have been different, yes.  I have learned now, at the third go round, this isn't important.  Ruining a Sunday of worship because the baby won't wear what he is supposed to is so not worth it.  Will there be chuckles, of course.  The chuckles will be from those that know exactly what you went through that morning and are laughing with you, not at you.  Will there be judgments, possibly but, I am learning that it doesn't matter.  I have grown in my acceptance of me, of us, and of each one of us in my house.  I may struggle if when this happens again but for this one morning, I felt the growth that comes with age and wisdom letting things go.

No comments: