Thursday, May 5, 2011

Special

Emma spent some time this spring preparing for a track and field event.  A Special Olympics track and field event.  I supported the effort, bought the shirt, and scheduled to attend.  It was so matter of fact.  I proudly smiled at the typical peers that I recognized from the neighborhood, impressed at their willingness to serve these special needs friends.  It was not until I saw my girl line up with all of the special children that I understood where I was.  I am so very grateful that I didn't think about attending a Special Olympics track meet until I was in the thick of it.  I may have found a way to be busy that day.  So, so thankful I was present.  I was fully there.  I delighted in watching my girl lope down the lane; I cried instead of cheered.  I cried for the full heart that I felt that hot day celebrating incredible children.  We cheered as if our kids were in the Olympics, we reveled in each child's event, we were in the moment.  I didn't feel sad, nobody looked at my girl with the "what's wrong with her" look she sometimes gets, it was fantastic.  I thanked God for the blessing of Emma.  I thanked God that she was not the blind girl being lead by a friend.  And, I cried as I thanked God that Emma was not in the wheelchair race being pushed by a friend.  So very grateful I was there and fully there.  Next year will be even better.

 50 yard dash
 Turbo Javelin
 Softball throw
 Refuel
Proud Momma

1 comment:

LAYTON FAMILY said...

OK....made me cry and I wasn't even there.