Saturday, October 29, 2011

Day 3

This will be hard to believe but we went a little bit nuts and deviated from our super ordinary-only stay at Disneyland vacation!  My friend and her family were also in Southern California and we decided to meet up for the day and maybe squeeze in some family pictures.  She is an amazing photographer and I was happy to oblige her in taking some beach shots!

Before heading to Encinitas, we shopped a bit at Downtown Disney and then headed off south.



We arrived at Amy's aunt's quaint little beach house.

Then we were off for some local flavor.  Our server and some of his co-workers may or may not have been in a sweet 'stache growing contest.

Lunch was good and we were ready for a trip to the Torrey Pines Gliderport, which happens to be very near UCSD, a one time haunt of Amy and I during summer camp.  It was a quick flashback to learning camp dances and eating dorm food.  We watched me strap on their chutes and run and jump off a cliff and float down to the beach below.  Fun to watch but I don't think I would do it.

La Jolla was our next stop.  I don't know what I was thinking, road trip, sight seeing, and family pictures all in one day.  The best I could do was finger comb my hair and change my shirt in a lovely Port-a-can on the beach.


The sunset was beautiful, we enjoyed it, and moved on to the San Diego Temple.


Such a beautiful temple.  San Diego is a damp, moist place, perfect for snails.  We watched little snail families travel along the planters around the temple.  Amy had no problem picking them up and sharing with my children the wonder of slimy sliders.  I am grateful for what we both bring to our friendship!  From snails to Chinese food.  We went to Pick Up Stix for dinner-one of our family's favorite places, the cream cheese wontons are just amazing.


No comments: