This may be slightly late but I am still enjoying the memory of this Fourth of July. We had made a plan to have a cook-out with friends, enjoy some fireworks, and maybe have some chat. In my preparations for the meal and evening, I went to Target for some fun items for the children. I wanted to purchase the "Pop-Its" that I loved to pop as a kid. I thought this would be a pre-fireworks extravaganza that might provide enough distraction until the dads were ready for the big guns. I found what I needed at Target and went to check-out. I was told I would need to hand over my ID in order to purchase the Pop-Its. I was surprised that such a seemingly harmless firework would require such documentation but I am not one to buck the system. The clerk entered my ID number to no avail, I was quickly directed to customer service where Timmy had the key to override my purchase of two boxes of nearly illegal fireworks. Timmy did offer an apology for the trouble and thanked my for not going crazy about the hassle. I completed the transaction without further incednt and headed home. I was thinking of Slurpees on the way and decided a detour might be in order when I realized that I was approaching a DUI check point right in the middle of Cheyenne. This is when I began to chuckle. Isn't it interesting on this Independence Day Eve that I am being required to give up my privacy and answer questions as to my whereabouts and activities. Freedom? Is this freedom?
Yes, yes, I believe it is. It did seem silly to me that I had to submit information to purchase fireworks. It was compounded by the fact that I was questioned as to my drinking for the evening but this is America. We are given the choice to drink or not and we are therefore required to live up to the responsibility of those actions. Isn't that exactly the foundation of America, the right to choose? Our founding fathers had the right to choose but they also had to live up to the responsibility of defending those choices. You may worship your god in the way you choose, you just need to fight to the death to do so. You may not want the involvement of England in your government or taxation, you just need to fight to the death to do so. I am so grateful for these freedoms. I am so grateful for the independence I can experience because very brave men and women fight to protect what was set up for us so many years ago by men who showed wisdom and courage. So, as silly as it seemed, I was and am so grateful for the time to reflect on what Independece Day means and for the price that has been and is paid for it.
By the way, we had a great time with our friends, the food was fab, and the fireworks phenom!
No comments:
Post a Comment