I would like to say how proud we are of Archer, a boy who up until now has not shown much interest in reading. I showed him a copy of Harry Potter that I purchased when he was a baby (never been read). He took the book and just really submersed himself. In the seven months of 2010, Archer has read all of the Harry Potter series. We are impressed! I noticed that about three books in, Archer commented that the books were getting easier to read. I dared to tell him that it could be because he was exercizing his reading muscle and that helps too. Shortly after, another revelation, the vocabulary is quite impressive. What a proud moment for a momma. Not only is my child interested in reading, getting better at reading, enjoying reading, but appreciating the vocabulary. What's next?
Tuesday, July 27, 2010
Out of the loop
I wanted to just check in if anybody wonders what happened to the Gardners. Archer and I have had a challenge going this summer. For one month we have to read as many pages as we can and whoever has read the most by midnight on the last day of the month wins. Loser has to clean all the bathrooms in the house-Archer or loser has to buy a new Lego set (or fork over $20). So far I am out one Lego set. The month of June hit the high mark of about 550 pages. July has already shown to be a huge leap; as of today, Archer is 1300 pages strong. I have come up a respectible second with 1100 but alas, the month is not over yet!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Amy, let me know if you need suggestions for books for Archer. Some friends and I have a reading group for YA/middle reader stuff, so I'm pretty up on it. Though, of course, you actually have kids, so you probably are, too!
Have you guys tried the Percy Jackson books by Rick Riordan yet? That's another fun series about a boy who finds out he's special--in this case, because the Greek god Poseidon is his dad. Fun stuff.
Jeff and I really got into the Harry Potter series. Unfortunately we didn't read all the books, we watched the movies. However after the last movie we decided we could not wait for the next movie so we read Deathly Hollows. We loved it and now really can't wait for the movie. Preston gave a shot at reading it too but couldn't quite keep up.
I HAVE been wondering what you've been up to. Glad for the update! My boys LOVE the Levan Thumps series. You can get it at Deseret Book.
Post a Comment