Monday, December 3, 2012

Reverence

I had a powerful experience that I wish had not been afforded to me.  I was able to attend the homecoming of my cousin, Jake.  It was a bittersweet resolution to the 8 days that Jake battled after being hit by a train.  We will all miss Jake.  Jake was serving in the US Navy at the time of the accident and he was given a homecoming that was an honor and a privilege, not only for Jake but for his escort, and for his family.  I am the one tearing up when I hear the National Anthem, this was so far beyond any patriotism that I have ever felt.  A hero's welcome.

We were to be at the airport to await the arrival of his flight.  We would be escorted onto the tarmac so our cars had to be searched by police dogs.  We drove onto the tarmac and watched with awe as Naval soldiers stood at attention and awaited their comrade.  It was so very silent on that blacktop as all bystanders, police, firemen, and airport workers reverenced my cousin. It was such an amazing ceremony as Jake was welcomed home and as his escort and shipmate hugged us and shared tears with us.  Jake was home.  Our hearts were full.  As we left the airport, the fire station had an American flag hoisted on the hook and ladder and saluted as Jake made his way home.

Such an amazing, heart-wrenching experience.  I am so grateful to understand the reverence shared by fellow Americans.  I am grateful for all of those that risk everything for us.  I am equally as grateful for the families that support our soldiers.  I have seen first hand the heartbreak of a mother as she sends her son off to an unknown destination for an unknown amount of time and hopes and prays for an email or letter, anything to calm her mother's heart.  I am grateful for my college roommate and her husband that both serve in the US Navy and are raising two sons while they take turns keeping watch.  I am grateful for those that have served in the past, even my dad, so that I could raise my family in the US of A.  I sleep a little more easily at night knowing that there are amazing people willing to give so much to defend our freedom.  May God bless us all.  May God bless my dear aunt whose heart is broken with a Jake sized hole. 

No comments: