Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I am sad today

We have made the decision that our family of five will remain a family of five.  This has been difficult for me.  I would have another baby in a minute if I could have a guarantee that everything would be normal.  Today with the rates of autism so high and with the possibility of not knowing if something is wrong, it is a risk that my heart just can't take.  We are blessed.  We have three amazing children.  We are happy.

We got rid of our crib a few months back.  I should say Rob got rid of it.  It was kinda sad for me to let go.  But, it is gone and I am still standing so that's great!  I have been taking some clothes to a re-sale shop close by and today it hit me hard.  I was folding those yummy little sleepers that used to lay on my chest full of chubby baby breathing those little breaths.  I wanted to cry.  I folded the kimono/potato sacks that held my fresh new babies with their little froggy legs still bent from being inside of me.  I wanted to cry.  Everything into a sack.  Everything to pass onto another Mommy that will love her baby as I have loved mine.

I have replaced the crib with a big boy bed, a big girl bed, and finally a big boy bed.  I have put little swaddling blankets into tubs and now sent them on to warm other babes.  I have washed and packed baby and toddler clothes to help another on their ever-too-quick journey of raising their children.  I will make new blankets for big beds that may go away to school or missions or apartments.  I will put big brother's clothes into little brother's drawers and how excited he will be to be just like his brother. 

I will be fine but I will cry some today.  I will be void of most all of the baby things that I depended on to raise up my babies.  Now I must prepare for teenagers and an increase in sass.  I will find joy in this journey also.  I will miss the sweet milky breath smell and enjoy the puppy dog smell of little boys.  I will try to adjust to the stinky pre-teen sweaty shoe smell and watch him evolve.  I love being a mom, even if it makes me sad and cry a little.  I am growing up too!

2 comments:

LAYTON FAMILY said...

I am way too old to have another baby and my youngest is 6, but I still can't pack up the crib. Or the high chair. The clothing has all gone away and the baby toys, but I'm not quite ready to say goodbye to everything just yet. FYI...I have LOVED every minute of the teen stuff. It doesn't smell nearly as good, but it IS wonderful in its own way.

Stefani Bellows said...

This post made me cry. You have such a beautiful way with words and expressing how you feel. Thank you for sharing.