I have been pouring through pictures and memories of Grandma. This experience with death has been the first for me where I feel such a loss and responsibility. I am a grown up now, I have no excuse to not attend the celebration of my grandma. It is time to put on my big girl panties and cry with the best of them! I know we will spend time laughing until we cry also.
Just some thoughts:
*We didn't get to Minnesota very often. I think we went about every 5 years. I have worked on keeping closer in the last 10 years or so.
*When we were young, I remember the beer route that Grandma, Grandpa, Diane, and Randy ran. After the route there was always work to do. I would love the chance to go into the warehouse. The smell of moist cardboard and forklift fuel just sends me right back to Onamia, Minnesota. There was always plenty of beer on tap at Grandma's house. Interesting that I am a Mormon!
*I loved the idea that Grandma had a basement. I was too scared to go down unless somebody was with. I think that is where the ringer washer was. Grandma had a ringer washer until just a few years back. I was very intrigued by it.
*I remember having to eat some kind of fowl for dinner. I don't remember what it was, probably pheasant, and I don't know if I ate it but, I know I never had that in Vegas! The best thing ever was Grandma's homemade pickles. Amazing! Dad and I tried to make it but, nobody does it like Grandma.
*I miss her.
*Grandma had a way of saying that one small comment that would change my way of looking at a situation. I don't think she was trying to change my mind, I think she was just sharing her thought on the situation.
*Grandma had a self-depricating sense of humor but she was such an example to me of a strong, stalwart, fabulous woman.
*I will miss out phone chats.
*I love that Grandma was so disiplined. We would chat about sewing in the winter and gardening in the summer. Grandma loved the outdoors, complete with hunting, fishing, and ice fishing. Grandma did it all--cooking, cleaning, hunting, sewing, gardening, and ringing the wash!
*It was fun to compare weather updates she would shudder at the heat and I would long for the lazy afternoons on the porch where it is so cool and peaceful the squirrels might come to the feeder, maybe a bird of incredible color, and you find yourself dozing just a bit.
*The view from Grandma's was wonderful--a lake! Go figure, Minnesota and a view of a lake.
*I know she is welcomed home.
*I know I will see her again.
*I am grateful.
Until we meet again...
No comments:
Post a Comment