Friday, July 22, 2011

Ride a horse

Early this summer we picked some activities that we would like to do.  Emma said, "ride a horse".  We have no idea where she came up with this and frankly we were surprised that she even chose anything at all.  Well, once our girl gets around to verbalizing what is going on in that brain, we do our best to fulfill that request in hopes of having more speech from Em.  We only know one person that could hook us up and he happens to be Emma's favorite, Uncle Jay. 

Jay set us up with Jessie, a petite French woman that I knew nothing about and turned my child over to.  It is difficult to turn your child to a new experience with a huge animal that could potentially do major damage! 

Jessie walked Emma through getting Rudy ready to be ridden.  Emma was not too interested in the prep work but put in some effort to try.  At this point, I am just glad she isn't refusing the whole activity all together! 



Rudy was ready to go, complete with handlebars and no saddle. 

Emma got a boost from Uncle Jay and it was on!  My girl rode that horse!  My girl let go while Rudy picked up the pace.  My girl rocked it out like I couldn't believe! 



Emma started to slip sideways and being the Nervous Nelly in this situation, I told Jay.  His response was, if she falls off, Rudy will stop.  Oh, good, I was worried about what the horse will do, not how traumatized Em will be, thanks!  After twice adjusting Emma on Rudy's back, Jessie requested Emma shift her own body weight, and she did!  This is the same girl that will fall off her bike because she won't shift her body weight.  Watching Emma was such an amazing experience.  Emma told Rudy, "Go, Rudy" when she wanted him to walk, Emma answered every question Jessie asked, and she followed every direction.  I was amazed.  I thought about what it would be like if it were the boys on the horse.  I thought about what I would expect out of them, good posture, quick responses, and full attention.  I need to let Emma spend more time doing all she can and challenge her more so she will do more.  I got a glimpse of what a spark looks like for my girl and this spark may start a blaze that takes her far.  So VERY VERY grateful that I followed through on her request.

When the lesson was over, Emma immediately worked hard at cleaning up Rudy.  She took off his boots, brushed him, and fed him mints!  She was a different girl than the girl that was prepping the horse.  Such a blessing to witness.





Emma talked about it all night.  She was so proud, confident, and excited to do it again.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

LOVE this post. I feel warm and fuzzy all over.

Anonymous said...

Johnny and I both couldnt choke back the tears of pride. Thank you again for sharing.